Areas of research focus include, but are not limited to:
- nuclear weapons and nonproliferation;
- the intersection between energy and international security;
- causes and consequences of conflict;
- grand strategy; domestic determinants of security policy;
- regional security;
- U.S. foreign policy; and
- the rise of China.
Appointments fund one academic year of full-time dissertation research and writing. While in residence, fellows are expected to actively contribute to the intellectual life of the Institute.
Applicants must be pursuing a Ph.D. in political science, public policy, history or a related discipline, and should have made substantial progress toward completion of a dissertation relevant to international security studies. Additionally, applicants must pass all qualifying exams and advance to the level of Ph.D. candidacy prior to the start of their appointment.
Funded fellows receive a stipend of $27,000 over the course of their appointment, which will run from August 15, 2017 through June 15, 2018. Fellows also are assigned a computer and shared office space at the Institute, which is located in the heart of downtown Washington, DC.
- A curriculum vitae;
- A 4 to 5 page double-spaced dissertation prospectus that outlines the question and argument, explains the project's contribution to the field of international security studies, and describes the research and writing to be undertaken during the fellowship year;
- A short writing sample (no longer than 40 pages);
- Three confidential letters of recommendation attesting to the applicant's scholarly promise and progress toward completion. Letter writers should email their recommendations directly to email@example.com.
We have a limited number of funded fellowships available. Please let us know if you wish to be considered for an unfunded pre-doctoral fellowship in the event that you are not selected for a funded fellowship.
All materials must be received no later than January 15, 2017. Applicants will be notified of the Institute's decision by March 2017.